Return to case studies
An estimated 30 million pints were stuck in beer barrels in pubs that were locked down. Not only did the brewers need their kegs back in order to restock, but the venues had already paid duty on beer that was now spoilt.
As lockdown closed pubs, bars and restaurants, 60,000 independent Free Trade Venues were left with no way of claiming back duty, destroying or returning their unused kegs. With 50% of these venues supported through group relationships, nearly 50,000 outlets needed a fully digital solution in line with the HMRC guidelines.
What started as an initial idea from Budweiser Brewing Group, soon became the go to solution for the majority of the industry with a total of 28 brewers using the platform for claim approval and processing.
The site launched on June 1st, gaining a spike of 100,000 unique users in the first 24 hours. With tens of thousands of venues pre-registered, the popularity increased exponentially in the first few weeks.
The volume of traffic to site required specific security measures to manage the data load on our servers. Using advanced infrastructure monitoring, we engineered strategic solutions and optimised the database to improve efficiency and user experience.
Features and Functionality
- Responsive, claim based website with a secure backend login, featuring three different account levels, single venues, groups and brewer accounts
- Group account features such as bulk CSV uploads to register multiple venues
- Evidence-based programme with multiple user steps and image storage (700,000 stored images to date)
- Secure brewer log in and ability to manually approve claims
- Secure system with proficient evidence submission, fit for the criteria of HMRC
To read the full project story and learn more about our collaboration with the brewers, head over to our blog.